Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Norma Soulet 8x10 "Skin"

Painting by Norma Soulet 
Norma Soulet like me is an IUOMA member (mail art) & that is how I came to invite her to do this project. Norma asked if she could totally cover my work & I replied she could do whatever she likes. She did just that. The surface is likely on paper & is affixed to the canvas. The edges & back, painted a bright blue, are likewise done by her hand. I ask myself - why would someone "collaborate" on a work by totally covering it? (I believe Diane Keys, also invited to work on this project, did the same.)

It is fulfilling to work with "raw" materials. Sometimes I paint over found paintings on curb sides or from thrift stores. To the extent that that practice is a collaboration makes sense to me as "skin & bones". That is, my original canvas is the bones & the work Soulet did is the skin. It ends up a mail art object par excellence, painterly, employing collage & text, with bright & vibrant colors.

Nice work, Norma! Thanks for participating & see you in the mail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment