Sunday, January 28, 2018

What is the 8x10 Collaboration Project & How did it start?

Catherine Mehrl Bennett & Matthew Stolte 8x10

Catherine Mehrl Bennett & Matthew Stolte 8x10
I met Catherine Mehrl Bennett in 2009 for a Madison Area Open Art Studios show we ended up co-curating in my apartment. We did the show again in 2010. Part of our time was spent painting & we exchanged many works. Last year Catherine attempted to send me a collaboration she did with one of my paintings - unfortunately it was lost in the mail. I had a show last year which included many of the works from 2009 & 10. After the show came down I had a lot of lonely canvases in my apartment. I suggested to Catherine I would send more works for her to collaborate. She agreed & thus the 8x10 Colab on Canvas Project was born. 

The paintings here are 2 of the 1st I received back from Catherine. These particular works retain the stenciled $s & Cents concrete poems, if not highlights them, & add completely new dimensions of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment